The GRACE Conference 2019 entitled, ‘Gender and Cultures of In/Equality in Europe: visions, poetics, strategies’ took place from 7-9th March 2019 in Utrecht, at Utrecht University, Centraal Museum, and the major feminist cultural foundation, Casco Art Institute: Working for the Commons.
The event, centred around International Women’s Day, celebrated the achievements of the GRACE Project’s work providing participants opportunities to explore the themes of the GRACE research through a range of activities, including a series of public talks by GRACE researchers and other distinguished international scholars; the launch of the GRACE feminist smartphone app Quotidian; the opening of the GRACE exhibition Footnotes on Equality; the presentation of project films; a special screening of Goya award winning film maker Isabel de Ocampo’s new film You Will Be A Man, introduced by the director herself; and a performance by Beatrice Allegranti Dance Theatre: I’ve Lost You Only To Discover That I Have Gone Missing.
Photographer: Martha Kamminga
Wonderful organisation, with particular attention to time management and to attending to any necessity of the delegates. Special thanks to the volunteers.
Keynotes & Contributors included:
- Beatrice Allegranti (Award winning choreographer, Associate Professor in Dance Movement Psychotherapy, University of Roehampton)
- Elisa AG Arfini (International Relations Officer, Associazione Orlando, Bologna)
- Elleke Boehmer (Professor of Literature, University of Oxford)
- Rosi Braidotti (Distinguished University Professor, founding Director of the Centre for the Humanities at Utrecht University)
- Rosemarie Buikema (Professor of Art, Culture & Diversity, Utrecht University)
- Isabel Carrera Suárez (Professor of English, University of Oviedo)
- Suzanne Clisby (Senior Research Fellow, Director of GRACE and Co-Director of GlobalGRACE, University of Hull and Goldsmiths, University of London)
- Lilla Crisafulli (Professor of Modern Languages, Literatures & Cultures, Bologna University)
- Rebecca Finkel (Reader in Events Management, Queen Margaret University)
- Neil Garcia (Poet, Professor of Comparative Literature, University of the Philippines Diliman)
- Gilberta Golinelli (Associate Professor of Language, Literature and Modern Culture, University of Bologna)
- Yasmin Gunaratnam (Reader in Sociology, Goldsmiths University of London)
- Rebecca Helman (PhD Candidate, University of South Africa)
- Maria Hlavajova (Artistic Director, BAK, a base for art, knowledge, and the political)
- Miguel Lorente Acosta (Professor of Legal and Forensic Medicine, Equality Unit Director, University of Granada)
- Jasmina Lukic (Professor of Gender Studies, Central European University)
- Maitrayee Mukhopadhyay (Gender & Rights Senior Advisor, Royal Tropical Institute)
- Frances Negrón Muntaner (Professor of English & Comparative Literature, film maker, Colombia University)
- Isabel de Ocampo (Goya award winning feminist film maker)
- Nirmal Puwar (Reader in Sociology, Goldsmiths University of London)
- Kopano Ratele (Professor in the Institute of Social and Health Sciences, University of South Africa, co-director of the Medical Research Council-UNISA Safety and Peace Promotion Research Unit)
- Aleksandra Rozalska (Head of the Women’s Studies Centre & Assistant Professor at the Department of American Studies and Mass Media, University of Lodz)
- Adelina Sánchez Espinosa (Professor of English, Granada University)
- Tamara Shefer (Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies, Deputy Dean of Teaching and Learning in the Faculty of Arts, University of the Western Cape)
- Susan Stanford Friedman (Virginia Woolf Professor of Literature, University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Download the Conference Handbook.
Download the Conference Schedule.